WWE Hall of Famer Mark Henry has issued a response after receiving backlash for his comments about the Raja Jackson-Syko Stu situation.
While speaking to TMZ Sports earlier this week about the attack, Henry said Stu — as a veteran wrestler — shares some of the blame for the incident because he hit Jackson in the head with a beer can before the KnokX Pro Wrestling show. Henry was also critical that some people were drinking alcohol prior to the event.
Henry has gotten criticism for his take on social media and has even been accused of being a racist for not entirely blaming Jackson. But Henry is not backing away from what he said. He explained his comments more in-depth during the Wednesday edition of his Morning Kickoff radio show, saying his opinion wasn’t formed by race but instead comes from his experience as a wrestler.
“I did say that what happened was excessive with the young man, Raja Jackson, and that whole thing was a mistake. What I said has nothing to do with race. It has everything to do with ignorance about the wrestling business,” Henry said. “And I don’t expect everybody to understand how organized pro wrestling has been for the last 100 years, because it’s been kept a secret. I don’t like to see anybody get hurt in the wrestling business, and I feel sorry for the guy.
“Syko [Stu] didn’t deserve what he got. But every action has a reaction, and there’s consequences for everything that you put out in this universe.”
Henry believes Jackson — the son of UFC legend Quinton “Rampage” Jackson — should have been smartened up more about the business before taking part in any kind of angle, comparing it to his own past when he was once “banished” to Canada to work with the Hart family and learn more about wrestling.
Concluding his statement, Henry said he is making zero apologies for what he said.
“I have not got one racist bone in my body. I love people. God put me on this earth to be a helper and to be a watcher,” Henry said.
“I just want to go on record as saying I’m making zero apologies for what I said. I meant every word — every single word I meant. You have to be responsible on both sides. The WWE is where they are because they do great business, because they smarten everybody up. And when people go off-script, they get fined, they get suspended, they get sent away. Until you know better, you can’t be on our program. And I don’t work for them, I just respect the business. So all of you fans out there that have these racist tendencies and all the vitriol for me, have at it. You can’t hurt me. I’m bulletproof.”
The Jackson-Stu incident took place at KnokX Pro’s August 23 show in Los Angeles and is currently under investigation by the LAPD. Stu has some serious injuries following the attack, but he is recovering and none of them are life-threatening. A GoFundMe campaign to help support him has raised more than $175,000.
In the wake of the incident, KnokX Pro — a training school and promotion — has lost its WWE ID affiliation.
Source link