Jordan Lawlar recalled by Arizona Diamondbacks for 3rd shot

The Arizona Diamondbacks recalled 23-year-old infielder and consensus top-ranked prospect Jordan Lawlar from Triple-A Reno on Friday before a three-game series at the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The Diamondbacks also placed first baseman Pavin Smith on the injured list after he left Wednesday’s game in Milwaukee with left quad tightness. Additionally, reliever Taylor Rashi’s save on Thursday in his MLB debut was followed by an option to Reno, while the D-backs recalled left-handed reliever Brandyn Garcia.

Garcia appeared twice in relief for Arizona after being acquired in the Josh Naylor deadline deal before he was sent to Triple-A. He has a 3.27 ERA in 11 innings with Reno. For Rashi, he threw 62 pitches in his appearance on Thursday and faced the harsh reality of being on the roster bubble.

Jordan Lawlar gets another chance

Lawlar receives his third career opportunity to show what he can do at the major league level. His last big league shot went poorly in May, as Lawlar finished 0-for-19 with nine strikeouts and looked outmatched by major league breaking balls (52.2% whiff rate).

The club wanted to see him grind out better at-bats, plus his playing time was inconsistent given the roster structure before the trade deadline.

Arizona optioned Lawlar on May 29, and he had been playing well back in Reno until he landed on the injured list with a hamstring strain on June 26.

Lawlar missed seven weeks and returned the Reno’s lineup on Aug. 14. He has since played in 10 Triple-A games (.279/.367/.465) before getting called back up.

“I think getting his feet under him is something we needed him to do,” assistant general manager Amiel Sawdaye told Arizona Sports’ Wolf & Luke on Wednesday. “Missing a good chunk of time in the middle of the season and then coming back, there’s a timing aspect to it. I think (it was important) giving him some time in Reno to get his timing down and  get the speed of the game down defensively.”

In the minor leagues, Lawlar has continued to produce.

In 63 games, he has slashed .313/.403/.564 with 11 home runs and 20 stolen bases, showing off his 20-20 potential with power and elite speed.

Against fastballs, he is batting .372 with a slugging percentage of .699, according to Statcast. Improving against breaking balls, particularly checking off pitches that he cannot do damage with, will be imperative to his success this time around.

“We saw some things at the major league level that he needs to continue to work on: handling the right-handed breaking pitches and spin a little bit more consistently, and continue to fine-tune the quality of his at-bats,” D-backs farm director Chris Slivka told Arizona Sports last week. “I think on the offensive side, that’s where he’s working hard to get where he needs to be.”

On defense, Lawlar has received reps at third base, second base and shortstop, and that versatility will open doors to playing time. He has not played in the outfield.

Geraldo Perdomo is the workhorse at shortstop, Blaze Alexander has looked comfortable at third base, while All-Star Ketel Marte patrols second base with periodic starts as the designated hitter.

The Diamondbacks do not have a set DH against lefties since trading Randal Grichuk at the deadline. Against lefties, the Diamondbacks have the flexibility to get Lawlar, Marte and Alexander in the starting lineup. How they manage playing time against righties will be something to watch.

Diamondbacks leaders have been consistent in their public belief that Lawlar will be a mainstay of this team in the future. The tools are obvious. The final month of this season will be an opportunistic stretch for him to find some answers and generate confidence moving forward.




Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *