Tulsi Gabbard gets schooled over unprecedented ‘conspiracy’ claim

Social media users want National Intelligence Director Tulsi Gabbard to remember this part of history.

During an appearance on Real America’s Voice, Gabbard on Thursday addressed her recent claims that former President Barack Obama and his national security team committed a “treasonous conspiracy” in manufacturing a “false” U.S. intelligence assessment to show that Russia favored President Donald Trump in the 2016 election.

Last week, Gabbard released over 100 pages of declassified documents, which she argued show “overwhelming evidence” that the Obama administration laid the groundwork for the yearslong Trump-Russia collusion probe. Fox News reported on Monday that the Justice Department received Gabbard’s criminal referral related to her claims.

On Wednesday, Gabbard moved to release a previously classified report from 2020, which she said undermined the 2017 intelligence assessment. The document, which was drafted by the then Republican-led House Intelligence Committee, casts doubt that Russia interfered in order to boost Trump’s candidacy. Meanwhile, the Select Senate Intelligence Committee, after interviewing over 200 witnesses and reviewing over 1 million pages of documents, had supported the assessment’s conclusion among bipartisan lines that same year.

When asked by conservative activist Charlie Kirk to “present the argument” that her allegations reach a warning threshold, Gabbard pointed to America’s design.

“When we look at our Democratic republic, Charlie, our system is built on the foundation of the American people casting their votes for who they want to be in office, to be our president and commander in chief. In this system, there is to be a peaceful transition of power,” Gabbard said.

“What we saw play out here was President Trump was elected by the American people in 2016, shocking most people in the United States, and apparently even Russia, and [Russian President Vladimir] Putin didn’t think he would win. Instead of accepting that this is the will of the people, what we saw is President Obama convening his national security team, and concocting this contrived false narrative…,” she continued.

Some social users appeared baffled at Gabbard’s answer — with many pointing to Jan. 6, 2021, when Trump’s supporters rioted at the U.S. Capitol, as an example of hypocrisy.

One user asked on X, “Did she ever hear about January 6th 2021?” Another added, “@TulsiGabbard has to be talking about January 6th, yes?”

“I feel like I’m taking f—— crazy pills,” someone wrote.

A Democratic political strategist said: “There indeed was a president who tried to subvert the will of the people and deny the peaceful transfer of power. His name is Donald Trump.”

“Irony is lost on her,” a different user posted.

The “Republicans against Trump” account said that “You really can’t make this sh– up.”

“Give her this, she says it with a straight face,” a user joked.

Hours after Gabbard released the additional report on Wednesday, the Justice Department announced the formation of a new strike force to “assess the evidence” and “investigate potential next legal steps” that may stem from her disclosures.

“The Department of Justice is proud to work with my friend Director Gabbard and we are grateful for her partnership in delivering accountability for the American people,” Attorney General Pam Bondi wrote in a statement. “We will investigate these troubling disclosures fully and leave no stone unturned to deliver justice.”

Trump had also capitalized on Gabbard’s allegations, posting a fake video to social media showing the arrest of Obama and accusing his predecessor of committing “treason.”

The president’s comments prompted Obama’s office to issue a rare rebuke.

“Out of respect for the office of the presidency, our office does not normally dignify the constant nonsense and misinformation flowing out of this White House with a response,” Obama spokesperson Patrick Rodenbush said in a statement. “But these claims are outrageous enough to merit one. These bizarre allegations are ridiculous and a weak attempt at distraction.”

Our journalism needs your support. Please subscribe today to NJ.com.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *